Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I'm a mom!


Okay, well I'm not really a mom.  At least not in the way most people would associate the word mom.  I didn't have a child...I got a puppy!!  After having a puppy for almost a week I think it is pretty safe to assume that having a puppy is a lot like having a baby.  Here are a few things I have observed that are similar between having a baby and a puppy...
~They cry all night long for no apparent reason
~They are only truly content when you are holding them
~You have NO idea what they need when they are crying
~They love kisses and snuggling
~Your days of sleeping in are officially over
~They are a lot of work and a lot of responsibility
~Everyone thinks they know how to fix all of your puppy/baby problems
~They love you unconditionally

I love my new puppy but this first week has definitely been a challenge.  It shouldn't surprise anyone that I named him Wrigley!!  He is an apricot toy poodle and as of Monday he weighed an astounding 2.7 pounds.  He loves giving kisses and he loves playing with my socks.  He also loves crying every two hours a night.  Everyone tells me that he will  grow out of this "puppy" phase.  I can only hope!

Wrigley has recently been nicknamed Houdini.  This dog can get out of anything!  Seriously...anything.  The first few days we had him he was sleeping in a pack and play.  The first night he was home he figured out how to climb out of that.  My dear friend Georgia brought over a crate for him.  He discovered how to climb up the side and escape from the top.  We were using a gate to block off the kitchen.  I'm blow drying my hair this morning and I glance in the hallway to see Wrigley staring at me.  The little stinker is smart!  As of now I think my mom and I have solved the problem.  He is in a new crate and we have a baby gate up that he  can't possibly escape from.  I shouldn't say that!  Hopefully I will get some sleep tonight.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I didn't you know you had a blog!!! How exciting! I hope the dog learns how to walk on a leash.