Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Snow Day!


I absolutely love snow days.  An unplanned day off of work where you can do whatever you want and still get paid.  Yes, snow days are one of the perks of being a teacher.  I remember wishing and praying for snow days as a kid.  I loved the mornings when my mom would come into my bedroom and tell me I could sleep longer because we didn't have school.  There was nothing like that feeling of rolling over and falling back to sleep knowing you are getting a "free day."

Yesterday there were threats of a winter storm coming through the area.  Most of the time when they actually predict a storm it never happens.  Even if the storm does roll through, the road crews are prepared for lots of snow.  We began talking about this said storm in the faculty workroom yesterday but we quickly stopped ourselves for fear that we would jinx our chances of a day off.  As teachers you never talk about snow days, because then they won't happen.  Don't ask me why, that is just how it works.  

So at 5:30 this morning my cell phone rang.  I was a little confused as to why my phone was ringing and who could possibly be calling.  I answered the phone in a very groggy morning voice and heard "It's A Snow Day!!"  My mom, who works nights at the hospital, had been on the computer and wanted to be the first to tell me that school was closed.  At first I didn't believe her but when I saw it on the TV with my own two eyes I reverted back to being 8 years old.  I crawled back into bed, rolled over, and fell back asleep.  I love snow days!!  

No comments: