Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Fresh Starts

What is it about a new year that makes one feel like they can do anything they set their minds to? Maybe it's the New Year's Resolutions that everyone makes and hardly anyone keeps past February.  Maybe it's the turning of the calendar, a fresh year ahead of you just waiting to be filled in.  Whatever it is, there is something about a new year that is refreshing.  

I have always enjoyed saying good-bye to years past.  Don't get me wrong, many years have been filled with smiles and laughter and wonderful times.  But there have also been those years that have been filled with hurt and heartache, pain and disappointment.  I think it's good for one to look back on those years in the valleys and take note of what they learned.  Maybe that is why a new year is so exciting.  You can make note of lessons learned and vow to live a better life.  


As I was hanging out with some good friends tonight we began talking about the dreaded New Year's Resolutions.  We all made many of the same promises - eat better, exercise more, be more patient.  I really got to thinking about my life and what 2008 might bring.  I decided that in 2008 I was going to try my hardest to give up control of many circumstances in my life (along with eat better and exercise more!)  I know that God is in control and I should trust him for everything I need, but that is so much easier said than done.  So often I think I know what is best for my life and take matters into my own hands.  So as I am faced with a brand new year with brand new possibilities, I am resolving to let go of the control I think I have over my life and let God work in and through me.  


I am excited to see what 2008 will bring.  There are so many possibilities and so many opportunities waiting for us if we will just be brave enough to take a few chances.  Here is to a great year and a fresh start!


No comments: